Today’s post is a marvelous African (Moroccan) recipe – Moroccan Lamb Kebabs, served with golden couscous. You can find this and lots of other Moroccan dishes on our Moroccan Cuisine page.
Lamb Kebabs with Golden Couscous is a classic Moroccan dish, and a national favorite. The rich, tender, spicy flavorful lamb meat, with onions and apricots to compliment the meat is a remarkable and wonderful treat. Try grilling up some Moroccan Lamb Kebabs with Golden Couscous for your next backyard cookout – you and your guests will love it!
Moroccan Lamb Kebabs with Golden Couscous Recipe-
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 2/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 8 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh mint
- 4 tsp. salt
- 4 tsp. grated lemon peel
- 2 tbsp. freshly ground black peppercorns
- 2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1 tbsp. ground cumin
- 3 dozen whole dried apricots (Use Mediterranean apricots if you can), immersed in boiling water 5 minutes, then drained
- 4 large red onions, peeled and chopped into large bite-sized chunks
- 4 lb. boneless leg of lamb, excess fat cut away, and chopped into 2″ cubes
You will also need:
- (16) 12″-long metal skewers
- Freshly cooked Golden Couscous
- Make the marinade by blending the first 9 ingredients, whisking them together in a large bowl.
- Transfer 1/2 cup of the marinade to small bowl; cover, refrigerate, and keep in reserve for your basting sauce.
- Add the lamb pieces into the bowl with the remaining marinade, stir and toss to coat evenly. Allow to marinate for at least 2 hours at room temperature, or cover the bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Prepare your grill and bring the heat to medium-high.
- Now thread the skewers, with alternating chunks of lamb, onion, and apricot.
- Before placing the skewers on the grill brush them with some of reserved marinade, and season a little more to taste with a sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Grill the skewers until onions soften and start to turn brown, turning and basting with marinade now and then, and moving skewers to cooler parts of the grill if necessary (to keep apricots from burning).
- Grill until the lamb is at desired doneness, about 8 minutes for medium-rare, 9 minutes for medium, and 10 minutes for well done.
- To serve your Moroccan Lamb Kebabs, ladle a generous mound of the couscous on a large serving platter, and place the skewers on top of the mound.