Southern Fried Frog Legs are as Deep South an American Soul Food dish as you can get. Please, if you prepare some, purchase farm-raised frog legs, as frogs are becoming an endangered species in the wild. And we need them to keep our precious natural environment in balance.
Southern Fried Frog Legs Recipe-
(makes 6 servings)
- 24 pairs of fresh or fresh frozen frog legs
- ½ cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 (4 oz.) packet saltine crackers, crushed
- 1 tbsp. minced onion
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. freshly ground black peppercorns
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup whole milk
- 2 to 3 cups vegetable oil (approximately)
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups pure peanut oil (approximately)
- 6 green onions, finely chopped, for garnish
- If your frog legs are still with skins on, remove the skins, rinse the legs well and dry them with cloth or paper towel, then set aside.
- Using a large re-sealable plastic bag, place inside the flour, cornmeal, crushed crackers, minced onion, salt and pepper, then seal the bag and shake it well until the mixture is thoroughly blended.
- Whisk the milk and eggs together in a bowl.
- Using a large skillet or saucepan, put both oils in it, and turn the heat up to medium high. The amount of oil you will need depends on the size of your skillet—you want the oil to be about ½” deep, and keeping a ratio of 2 to 1 with the vegetable oil to peanut oil.
- Now dredge the frog legs through the egg and milk mixture, coating them well, and then do the same with the flour/cracker mixture
- Fry until nice and golden brown on both sides—usually about 5 minutes on one side, then flip them for another 5 minutes. You may need to fry them in batches, again, depending on your skillet size.
- Remove the legs once they are well browned, and put them on a large, paper towel-covered platter, to drain off excess oil.
- When the legs first come out of the pan and are still oily and hot, sprinkle them with the chopped green onions.
- Serve your Southern Fried Frog Legs while still warm. This entree goes well with thick oven broiled mashed potato patties, and southern style mixed greens with ham.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)