This Smoked Salmon Scramble is a breakfast you’ll not soon forget. A friend of mine, who is also an excellent cook, prepared this for me, years ago, and I of course had to have the recipe. Here it is for you now, too.
Smoked Salmon Scramble Recipe-
- 1 large 16 oz. (450g) sweet potato (yam)
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 tsp. coconut cream
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground coarse sea salt, plus a pinch more
- ½ tsp freshly ground black peppercorns, plus a pinch more
- 6 large collard green leaves, chopped (fresh if you can get them, otherwise, about 6 oz. canned collard greens)
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 8 oz. (225g) smoked salmon, chopped up
- 2 tsp. capers
- 1 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped red onion
- Preheat your oven to 400 degree Fahrenheit and line 2 pizza sheets with parchment paper.
- Slice the sweet potato into long thin strings using a vegetable spiralizer (also called a mandolin). If you don’t have this handy implement, you really should have it, and they are not all that expensive. To get one, Click Here.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the sweet potato strips, coconut oil, coconut cream, salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix well, ensuring the potato strings are well coated.
- Put half of the potatoes on each of the 2 pizza sheets, spreading them out evenly over the discs. Bake in the oven for about 18 to 20 minutes, or until the potato strings are cooked and starting to turn brown.
- As the potatoes cook, Put a large skillet on the stove over medium high heat, add the collards into the skillet and cook about 3 minutes, or until completely wilted (if you are using fresh collard leaves. If using canned collards, just cook them until reheated to very hot). Scoop them out and set them aside in a suitable container.
- Now melt a little bit more of the coconut oil in the skillet, then add in the eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg and cook, gently stirring, until your eggs are just softly cooked through.
- Turn the burner off.
- Gingerly add and stir in the wilted collards, capers, red onions, and smoked salmon.
- By this time your potato strings-topped pizza discs should be done, so take them out of the oven and carefully slip them onto serving plates. Divide the egg/collards/salmon mixture in half, top each disc with the mixture spread out evenly, and serve your Smoked Salmon Scramble immediately.