Baked Stuffed Crab, Bahamian style, is subtly flavored, yet very elegant, rich and filling.
Baked Stuffed Crab Recipe-
- 6 whole dungeness crabs – get live crabs if you can, but you can also use pre-cooked whole dungeness crabs
- 3 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp. finely chopped white or yellow onions
- 4 tbsp. finely chopped sweet yellow bell pepper
- salt to taste
- dried thyme leaves, to taste
- fresh squeezed lemon juice, for serving
- fresh sliced lemon, for garnish
- If using live crabs, wash them, then put them in a pot of water and boil them for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Take the cooked crabs and break them apart, separating the top shell from the bottom shell. Break open the pincers also.
- Remove the meat from the main body bottom shell and the pincers, and using two forks, shred the meat into fine shards. Set aside for now.
- There is a “bag” underneath the meat in the bottom shell – remove that and discard it. Reserve the bottom shells.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the onions and peppers until lightly browned.
- Add the shredded crab meat into the skillet, stir everything together, and cook until the meat is warmed through and has taken on the aromatics of the onions and peppers.
- Season the mixture with salt and thyme, to taste.
- Now stuff the cooked crab mixture into the reserved crab bottom shells, mounding it nicely and packed in firm.
- Place the stuffed crabs in a baking dish. Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- To serve your Baked Stuffed Crab, place two crabs on each serving plate; drizzle some fresh squeezed lemon juice over each crab, and garnish with a slice or two of fresh lemon. This dish goes well with baked potatoes, or fresh steamed rice, and just about any mildly spiced vegetable side dish.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)