Togolese cuisine includes many chicken and poultry dishes. However, this Grilled Togo Chicken is perhaps the easiest, most straight forward Togolese method of preparing chicken. You simply marinate some chicken pieces in a mixture of salt, pepper, cayenne, ginger, garlic, and red palm oil.
Grilled Togo Chicken Recipe-
- 10 pieces of chicken (legs and thighs are my favorite, but you can also use breasts), bone in and skins on
- 2 tbsp. freshly grated ginger root
- 8-10 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 very large onion, peeled and sliced into thick rings
- 2 tbsp. red palm oil (a must have ingredient, no other oil will give the unique Grilled Togo Chicken flavor)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- cayenne pepper, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine the salt, both peppers, garlic, ginger, and red palm oil. This is your seasoning marinade.
- Place the chicken pieces in a very large mixing bowl, then pour the marinade over them. Toss and rub the pieces, making sure they are all well covered all over.
- Cover the bowl (or, if you have a large 1 gallon sized Ziploc bag, put the chicken and marinade in it and zip it locked up tight – this is even better) and allow to sit and marinate for at least an hour. Longer is better, and overnight is best.
- Grilled Togo Chicken is traditionally grilled, and that is definitely my favorite way to prepare it. But you can also roast the chicken in an oven, preheated to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. If using the traditional, grilling method, have the coals or flame at medium-high temperatures.
- Grill (or roast) the chicken, basting occasionally with the extra marinade, turning the pieces over once. Cook until the skins are a rich, deep golden (almost blackened) color, and the juices run clear. On my grill, this takes about 30 to 35 minutes, but on your grill (or oven) it make take a bit more or less time. (Note: if you are using breast meat, the cooking time will be less – do not overcook, or the meat will get dry and not nearly as tasty)
- When the chicken is nearly getting done, toss the onion rings on the grill.
- Serve your Grilled Togo Chicken with the grilled onion rings, sliced fresh tomatoes, and some Togolese Djenkoume (Togolese tomato-cornmeal cakes).
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)