There are many variations on the traditional New Zealand Pumpkin Soup, but this one is my personal favorite. It is creamy, with the coconut milk and egg yolks included, and also has a marvelously subtle bouquet of flavors added by the onion, nutmeg, and lemongrass.
New Zealand Pumpkin Soup Recipe-
(serves 4 to 6)
- 4 cups pumpkin puree
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium-sized white or yellow onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 4 stalks fresh lemongrass, tough ends trimmed off, and chopped fine
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 2 large egg yolks
- salt and pepper, to taste
- croutons, for serving (optional)
- In a very large skillet over medium high flame, heat 2 tablespoons of the butter until it is sizzling, then add in the chopped onion and lemongrass and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until softened and fragrant.
- Add in the pumpkin puree, stir everything together well, reduce the heat to medium, and cook for 10-12 minutes, stirring continuously.
- Add and stir in 2 cups water; grate in some fresh nutmeg, adjust flame to just a lively simmer, and cook gently until the liquid has reduced by at least half and the puree is almost as thick as it was without the water added.
- In another skillet, while the puree is cooking, heat the other tablespoon of butter over medium flame, and add in the flour. Stir constantly, until a rue is created, then add and stir in the two cups of coconut milk.
- When the coconut mixture has thickened some (like the consistency of a light gravy), remove the skillet from the burner and add this mixture into the pumpkin puree mixture. Stir everything together well until thoroughly blended.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and more nutmeg if desired.
- Adjust the flame to just a lively simmer, and cook for 20 minutes more.
- After 20 minutes, scoop out a couple ladles full of the soup and put it in a mixing bowl. Add the egg yolks into the bowl, and whip and blend together. Then stir this yolk-puree mixture back into the rest of the soup, and cook for just 2-3 more minutes
- Serve your New Zealand Pumpkin Soup while nice and hot. If desired, garnish each serving with some herb-seasoned croutons – tastes great!
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)