A truly classic and original American dish, New Orleans Gumbo, can be a lot of things, depending on what all is put into it. But all of the New Orleans style Gumbo recipes are prepared in the same basic way. Try this version of New Orleans Gumbo and, once you get the hang of it, you can experiment with different seafoods, veggies, spices, etc.
New Orleans Gumbo Recipe-
- 2 tbsp. shortening
- 2 green onions, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 habanero pepper, seeds removed and chopped (leave seeds in if you want your New Orleans Gumbo super spicy hot)
- 1 tbsp. chopped fine dried parsley
- 1-quart cut-up fresh or canned okra
- 1 can of tomato paste
- 2 tomato paste cans full of water
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can of stewed chopped tomatoes with basil
- 1 lb. fresh crab meat
- 1 lb. fresh prawns (shrimp), peeled and deveined
- 1 cup diced smoked ham
- 1 cup diced, cooked chicken
- 8 oz. canned oysters
- In a 10-inch saucepan or skillet over medium high heat, melt the shortening.
- Add the peppers, celery and onions, and sauté for 3 minutes, then add in the parsley and sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Now add in the okra, reduce heat to a lively simmer, and cook for 15 minutes.
- Pour all sautéed ingredients into a large cooking pot or Dutch oven and then add in the tomato paste and water, stirring often.
- Add 4 full cups of water and the stewed tomatoes and cook for a half an hour.
- Now add in all the meat ingredients, and cook for 25 – 30 minutes, stirring now and then.
- Serve your New Orleans Gumbo hot, with freshly cooked rice.