There are all kinds of pancakes, but learning how to make basic homemade perfect pancakes is a fundamental skill needed to delve into the more jazzed up pancake recipes.
Basic Homemade Perfect Pancakes Recipe-
(makes 6-8 large pancakes)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour (for heavier textured, darker cakes, use buckwheat or whole wheat flour)
- 7 tsp. baking powder
- 2 tsp. salt
- 2 tbsp. white sugar
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tbsp. butter, melted
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- Separate the egg yolks from the whites.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mix, and pour in the milk, egg yoke and melted butter; mix until smooth—IMPORTANT!—do not over-mix. Your pancakes will be fluffier if you just mix enough to blend the ingredients well. If there are a few small lumps remaining, don’t worry, they will cook out smooth.
- Beat the egg whites until foamy, and then fold them into the pancake mix. Do not stir vigorously, just fold into enough to mix well.
- Heat a lightly oiled griddle or frying pan over medium heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the griddle, using approximately 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides, butter them, and serve hot.
NOTE: For a truly uniquely American pancake eating experience, serve your basic homemade perfect pancakes with 100% pure Maple Syrup … it’s the BEST by far!