Kimchi Jjigae Recipe-
- ¼ pound of pork belly (or you could substitute canned tuna if you’re not a big pork fan)
- 2 cups of cabbage Kim Chee (use aged Kim Chee if you can, it’s even worth buying some and letting it age for a couple months
- 1 ½ cups of water
- 2 green onions, white parts chopped fine, green stalks cut into 1” long pieces
- Firm Tofu, about 12 oz.
- 1 tbsp. of minced garlic
- 2 tsp. of sesame oil
- ½ medium sized onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. of Gochujang chili paste
- Chop the green onions, dice the onion, cut the pork belly into bite sized cubes, and also the tofu.
- In a cooking pot, heat some sesame oil to medium high.
- Add in the minced garlic and diced onion.
- Add pork belly and keep cooking until the pink color is gone.
- Now add in the Kim Chee, juices and all, and cook for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Add in water until you have your desired consistency (very little for stew, more for soup), reduce heat and simmer for at least 30 minutes, even longer is better.
- Lastly, add in the green onions and the tofu, and simmer for 5 to 10 more minutes.
- Note: you can add sugar to taste for a sweeter flavored Kimchi Jjigae.