Gehaktballen (Dutch meatballs) are exemplary and outstanding. Great to serve with Hutspot, or by themselves, or with just about any potato, veggie, or pasta dish, Gehaktballen is classic Dutch cuisine at its delicious best.
- 1 cup lean ground beef
- 1 large egg
- 2 slices white bread, crusts removed, soaked in milk
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped very fine
- 1-1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1⁄2 tsp. yellow curry powder
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground mace
- 1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black peppercorns
- 3 tbsp. butter
- 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- ketjap manis, to taste (special Indonesian soy sauce, and a must have ingredient!)
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- In a suitably sized mixing bowl, combine the meat with the onion, bread, egg, salt and spices.
- Place the mixture in the fridge and let it chill for about half an hour.
- Just before you take the meatballs out of the fridge, soak your white bread in just enough milk to saturate. Squeeze the milk out of the bread, then tear and shred the bread into tiny little bits.
- Remove the meat mixture from the fridge; work the soggy bread bits into the mixture thoroughly.
- Now mold the meat mixture into 5 or 6 equally sized balls.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium high flame, and sauté the meatballs until browned. About 15 minutes should do it, keep turning the balls so they are browned well all over.
- Remove the browned meatballs with a slotted spoon (leave the meat juices in the skillet) and place them in a baking dish, covered, and kept warm in the oven.
- Now add the beef broth into the skillet and adjust the heat to medium. Sprinkle 2 tbsp. of flour into the meat juices, add in some ketjap manis to the mixture, and cook, stirring, until a wonderful, fragrant gravy forms, to serve with the meatballs. Note: if your gravy is not the thickness you desire, just add and stir in more flour. You have to stir thoroughly, so the flour disperses evenly and no lumps are left in your gravy.
- Serve your Gehaktballen while nice an warm. They go great with just about any potato and vegetable side dishes.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)
Reduce the heat to simmer and cook the meatballs for another 15 minutes, turning a few times.