There is nothing quite like a nice bowl of very warm, Classic American Tomato Soup, to heal what ails you. A real comfort food, and it goes great with the All American BLT Sandwich, too.
Vegans can also enjoy this soup, just use veggie broth instead of chicken, and skip the cream and cheese garnish – instead top with some of your favorite herbs. And for vegans a wonderful accompaniment with this Classic American Tomato Soup is Fried Green Tomatoes Sandwiches.
Classic American Tomato Soup Recipe-
For the Soup-
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2-3 large garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth (if you are vegan, substitute vegetable broth)
- 28-oz. can whole peeled plum tomatoes, puréed, with juices retained
- 1-1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black peppercorns, to taste
- 3 tbsp. mixture of finely chopped basil, chives, and dill weed, plus extra basil for garnish (optional)
For the (Optional) Garnish-
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup crumbled goat cheese
- 2 tbsp. Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt, to taste
- A few fresh chives
- 1 tbsp. scallion infused olive oil
- In a large (5 to 6 quart) cooking pot or Dutch oven over the burner on medium low, heat the butter and olive oil until the butter melts.
- Add in the garlic and onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until fragrant and translucent, about 6 or 7 minutes, then add in the flour and stir to coat the garlic and onion.
- Add the broth, sugar, thyme, tomatoes, ¼ tsp. each of salt and pepper. Bring to a lively simmer over medium-high heat, all the while stirring, to ensure the flour is not sticking to the pot’s bottom.
- Turn the heat down to low, cover with a lid, and simmer for 40-46 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the stove, discard the thyme sprig, and allow your soup to cool a little bit.
- Now, in 2 or 3 batches, purée the soup mixture in a food processor or electric blender.
- Wash the cooking pot clean, and then return the puréed soup back into the pot.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and, if necessary, reheat the soup.
- Serve your Classic American Tomato Soup very warm, but not scalding hot.
Optional Goat Cheese and Sour Cream Garnish-
- In a small mixing bowl, stir and blend together ¼ cup of crumbled goat cheese and ½ cup of sour cream.
- Next grate into the mixture 2 tbsp. of Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, and stir to combine
- Now mince some fresh chives (you want about 1 heaping tablespoon) and add that in, along with 1 tbsp. of scallion infused olive oil and some salt to taste.
- Stir and blend well until all the ingredients are thoroughly incorporated into one smooth mixture.
- Scoop up a generous dollop of your creamy-cheesy garnish and place it in the center of each bowl of Classic American Tomato Soup you are serving. Add a sprinkling of chopped fresh basil on top if you like, also.