Nothing is more American than bourbon, and this Honey Bourbon Caramel Peach Pie is as outstanding as a good snifter of premium, aged Kentucky Bourbon.
Honey Bourbon Caramel Peach Pie Recipe-
For the filling-
- 3 pounds fresh, tree-ripened peaches (don’t scrimp on this ingredient, it is key to this recipe!)
- 2 tbsp. cornstarch
- 1-1/2 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. 100% pure lemon juice
- ½ tsp. ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup granulated cane sugar, plus 1 tbsp.
For the Honey Bourbon Caramel-
- ¼ cup pure clover honey
- 2-3 tbsp. premium quality, aged Kentucky Bourbon
- 2 tbsp. water
- 3 tbsp. unsalted butter
For the Crust-
- 1 Gluten-Free Pie Crust Mix
- 1 tbsp. whole milk
- Use a sharp knife to slice an “X” in the bottom of each peach, then put them in a large pot of vigorously boiling water just long enough to blanch them – about 15 seconds is all. You may have to work in batches, depending on the size of your pot.
- Scoop them out of the pot with a large slotted spoon and quickly drop them into an ice bath to halt the cooking.
- Now peel the peaches and chop them into 1″ thick wedges.
- Toss the peaches with the salt, cinnamon, cornstarch, lemon juice and flour in a large bowl.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit, line a baking sheet with tin or aluminum foil, and place the sheet in the lowest level position in the oven.
- Using a heavy and large (1-1/2 to 2-quart) saucepan, over medium-high heat, make your bourbon-caramel, by bringing the honey, bourbon, water and 1/2 cup sugar to a boil, stirring until all the sugar has dissolved. If any sugar crystals form on the side of the pan wash them down with a pastry brush dipped in cold water. Boil for 5 to 6 minutes. Do not stir, but do swirl the pan now and then to ensure even coloring of your caramel, which should turn a dark amber.
- Following the package instructions, prepare enough dough to line the bottom and sides of a 9″ round pie dish twice over.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out 1 piece of dough (refrigerate the remaining piece) into a 13″ round on a lightly floured, flat surface. Fit the round into a 9″ pie dish. Trim off any excess dough, leaving a 1/2″ overhang. Refrigerate this shell while you roll out the other ball of dough.
- Roll out the second ball of dough into an 11″ round.
- Take the chilled dough shell out of the fridge, pile the blanched peaches into it, mounded high, and then pour the caramel filling all over the peaches. Cover the pie with the 11″ pastry round.
- Trim the edges with kitchen shears, and leave a 1/2″ overhang. Press the edges together to well sealed, then crimp the edges in a decorative fashion.
- Brush the top all over with some of the milk, then sprinkle on the remaining tablespoon of sugar. Using a paring knife, cut 3 “steam vent” slits in the top crust.
- Bake your Honey Bourbon Caramel Peach Pie on the hot baking sheet for 20 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees F and continue to bake until the filling is bubbling up through the steam vent slits and the crust is a pleasing, light golden brown – usually this takes about 50 minutes, maybe a little more.
- Cool to room temperature for 3 to 4 hours.
- Honey Bourbon Caramel Peach Pie tastes great with some freshly brewed dark roast coffee, and for an after dinner coctail, enjoy a snifter of your fine aged Kentucky Bourbon.