Wild game burritos can be made with elk, moose, deer, buffalo, just about any large wild mammal meat. You can even use a combination of the ground meats. Blended together and spiced up, like this wild game burritos recipe calls for, you just won’t believe how amazing these burritos taste!
Wild Game Burritos Recipe-
(makes 4 burritos)
- lb of ground wild game meat (buffalo, elk, moose, venison, bear, etc., or a combination – anything goes!)
- 4 large soft tortillas (I prefer corn tortillas, but the choice is yours)
- 2-1⁄2 cups chipotle refried beans
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. dried cilantro leaves
- 1 tsp. dark chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 4 large cloves garlic clove, peeled and rough chopped
- one red tomato, rough chopped
- 1 tbsp. salt, or to taste
- sour cream
- canned, sliced jalapeno peppers
- chunky red salsa (my personal favorite is Mango-Lime salsa, it really sets up the flavor of the gamey meat and the hot & spicy seasonings)
- lettuce, shredded
- white or yellow onion, diced
- fresh ripe avocado, diced
- some red cherry tomatoes, for accompaniment
- Preheat your oven to low, about 150 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat with all the spices and the chopped garlic, stirring and mixing together thoroughly.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high flame.
- Sauté the seasoned meat, stirring with a wooden spoon to further break down the chunks, until cooked through and well browned all over. Turn burner off, and cover the skillet to keep the meat warm.
- Combine the beans and rice in a separate saucepan over medium-low flame, and cook, stirring now and then, until just warmed throughout.
- Place the tortillas on a plate, stacked, with a damp paper towel in-between each layer, and one more damp paper towel on top; put in the over to warm.
- After about 10 minutes, place the warmed tortillas side by side on a large platter, and begin assembling your burritos.
- First, slather 1/4 of the beans and rice mixture on each tortilla, followed by 1/4 of the seasoned meat. Be sure to leave about 2″ of one edge of each tortilla uncovered by filling, so you can fold them up.
- Now add on the grated cheese and diced red tomatoes.
- At this point, you can add just about anything else that suits your fancy. Diced onion, avocado, lettuce, sour cream, jalapenos, the sky is the limit at this point, so do whatever you love most. The wild game meat will still shine through in bold fashion.
- Now fold up the tortilla shells, roll the sides around, you might want to pin them closed with a toothpick or two, and SNAP! Enjoy serving and chowing down on your wild game burritos!
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)