Looking for the best authentic Spanish Rice recipe with chicken? There are so many versions of this traditional Spanish meal, it would be hard to call one the “best”. But this one, Español Pollo y Arroz al Curry, is an especially tasty one, what with all the complex and subtly combined seasonings.
You can also use pork, or other poultry, as the meat – the rice recipe works well with those as well. Try this Español Pollo y Arroz al Curry (Curried Rice with Chicken) out first, then use your imagination for other meats to substitute and/or include.
Español Pollo y Arroz al Curry Recipe-
- 4 chicken leg quarters
- Goya Adobo seasoning, with pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped fine yellow onion
- 1 cup chopped fine red bell pepper
- 1 tsp. yellow curry
- 2 tsp. Goya minced garlic
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked Mahatma Long Grain Rice with Saffron Seasonings
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 packet Goya Sazon Azafran seasoning
- ½ cup pitted and finely chopped Spanish green olives
- 1 (4 oz.) jar sliced sweet pimentos, chopped into ½” long pieces
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Wash the chicken in fresh water and the pat dry.
- Season the chicken with the Adobo with pepper to taste.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy cooking pot, over medium heat.
- Fry the chicken until well browned on all sides, (work in batches if you need to), about 8 to 10 minutes, and then set aside.
- Now stir the garlic, peppers, and onions, peppers into the pot, and cook until soft—usually around 5 minutes will do the trick.
- Add in the rice, yellow curry, and Goya Sazon Azafran seasoning into the pot and cook, stirring continuously, until all the grains of rice are well coated in the seasoned oil mixture—about one 1 minute.
- Now stir in the 3 cups of chicken broth, also the frozen peas, and bring everything up to a rolling boil.
- Add into the pot your olives and chicken, reduce the heat to where the dish is cooking at just a lively simmer, then cover the pot and allow to simmer for about 25 minutes, until the rice is tender and the chicken cooked well through.
- To serve your Español Pollo y Arroz al Curry, fluff the rice with a fork, place a generous portion of rice in each serving bowl (or deep sided serving dish), place one leg quarter in the center of each serving, and garnish with a sprinkling of pimiento pieces.