Hearty, hearty, hearty! This Bauernfrühstück (Farmer’s Breakfast) will fill you up and fuel you for hours. And, thankfully, you can note this one as a “traditional easy German food” recipe too, because Bauernfrühstück is simple and fast to make.
- 1-1/3 lb. (600 grams) Desiree potatoes, peeled, sliced
- ¼ lb. (120 grams) good quality, thick sliced bacon, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup (60 ml) whole milk
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh oregano
- Freshly ground course sea salt and black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp. finely diced fresh chives
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a good boil. Add in the sliced potatoes, and lower heat to a simmer. Continue to cook for 15 minutes, or until tender.
- In a large frying pan, sauté the bacon over medium-high heat for 2-3 minutes. Add the olive oil and cooked potato slices, and fry, stirring regularly, until golden brown (10 minutes).
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs with the milk, oregano, and salt and pepper. Combine well.
- Adjust heat to medium-low and pour the mixture over the golden brown potato. Gently move the potato and egg mixture with a wooden spoon until the egg is cooked (2-3 minutes).
- Sprinkle with chives and serve your Bauernfrühstück immediately, while still nice and hot.