Ragout de Capitaine à l’Arachide et aux Épinards is among the most delicious fish stews I have ever tasted – rich, spicy, sumptuous, and satisfying!
Ragout de Capitaine à l’Arachide et aux Épinards (Catfish Stew with Peanuts and Spinach) Recipe-
- 2 lb. (about1kg) fresh catfish, chopped into small steaks
- 7 oz. (200g) peanut butter
- 5 oz. (500g) spinach
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 leek, chopped fine
- 1 tomato, rough chopped
- 4 tbsp. okra powder (a must ingredient, for authentic Malian flavor)
- 2 tbsp. pure red palm oil
- 1 Scotch Bonnet hot chili pepper
- Freshly ground coarse sea salt and black peppercorns
- Fresh cilantro, rough chopped, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a casserole, add the catfish steaks and brown overnight
- heat then add the spring onions, leek, tomatoes and okra powder.
- Season to taste with salt and black pepper, reduce the heat to a low simmer and stir to combine. Cover the pot and cook for about 5 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix the peanut butter to a smooth paste with 500ml of hot water. Pour this into the casserole dish and stir to combine.
- Wash the spinach, drain, chop coarsely and add to the stew.
- Return to a simmer, cover the dish and cook for about 25 minutes, or until the fish is very tender.
- Serve your Ragout de Capitaine à l’Arachide et aux Épinards hot on a bed of white rice, garnished with a sprinkling of rough chopped fresh cilantro.