Kik Wat (pictured in the center of the image below) is a traditional entree in the world-famous Ethiopian Feast.
Kik Wat (Red Lentil Stew) Recipe-
- 2 tbsp. berbere seasoning (Ethiopian blend of spicy peppers, a must ingredient for authentic results)
- 4 cups uncooked dried split red lentils
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped fine
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 5 tsp. minced fresh garlic or garlic powder
- 2 tbsp. berbere seasoning
- 1 tbsp. salt (or to taste
- 8 to 10 cups water
- Put some vegetable oil in a large cooking pot over medium-high heat, and simmer the garlic and onion with the berbere seasoning, until onions are translucent and onions and garlic are fully fragrant.
- Add in the water and the red lentils, bring the mixture to a lively simmer, and cook for 20 to 30 minutes, until the lentils are fully cooked and tender.
- Serve you Kik Wat immediately while hot.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)