Fortunately, Arkansas Possum Pie is not made with possum meat. It is actually a very delicious mixture of nuts and puddings. Originating in the State of Arkansas, the dessert treat was named after the cute little rodents that are indigenous and abundant there.
Try some Arkansas Possum Pie. I’m sure you will come back for more!
Arkansas Possum Pie Recipe-
Ingredients: (makes 2 pies)
- 1-½ sticks unsalted butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups finely ground pecans, separated in equal parts
- 1 (8 oz.) package Philadelphia Kraft Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 12 oz. Dream Whip, divided in half and separated
- 1 box milk chocolate instant pudding
- 1 box chocolate fudge instant pudding
- 3 cups whole milk
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cut the butter into the flour and blend together with a fork until you have a crumbly pastry dough.
- Add in 1 cup of crushed pecans and mix to incorporate thoroughly.
- Now press the nutty, crumbly dough into the bottoms and up the walls of two 8″ or 9″ pie dishes. You can also make one very large Arkansas Possum Pie in a 13″ x 9″ casserole baking dish.
- Place the pie(s) in the oven and bake 15 minutes, or until the pastry starts to brown, then take out of the oven and set aside to cool.
- Blend together the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar, then add 6 oz. of Dream Whip and beat the mixture until nice and fluffy. Spread this mixture over bottom of the pie(s).
- Now mix and blend together the milk and both pudding mixes. Pour the combined mixture in on top of the cream cheese mixture, and allow to set up for a few minutes.
- Lastly, spread the remaining Dream Whip over the top of the pie(s) and sprinkle the top(s) with crushed pecans.
- That’s it! Your Arkansas Possum Pie is ready to eat. Enjoy it American style, with freshly brewed, strong dark roast coffee.