Azifa is a wonderful mid-day treat on a hot day!
Azifa (Ethiopian Cold Lentil Salad) Recipe-
- 1 tsp. ginger root powder (more if you like)
- 1 large jalapeño pepper, seeds left in, chopped fine
- ½ cup finely chopped red onions
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- ½ tsp. turmeric powder
- 1 cup uncooked green lentils
- 3 – 4 tbsp. fresh lime juice, depending on your tastes
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- Chunks of cabbage heart, for garnish
- fennel seeds, for garnish
- Fresh lettuce leaves, for serving
- Boil a pot of water and cook the lentils until tender, about 30-35 minutes, then drain them in a sieve or colander and rinse well with cold water. Put in a mixing bowl.
- Stir the lentils vigorously with a spatula or large wooden spoon, until they become a bit mashed.
- Now add the olive oil, lime juice, turmeric, onions, grated carrot, and jalapeño into the bowl with the lentils, and stir and blend all ingredients together well.
- Do a taste test on your Azifa. Each and every ingredient should be present on the palate. If one or more is missing, add more of that until it is equally represented along with all the other ingredients, in one harmonious symphony of flavors.
- Place your Azifa in the refrigerator to chill before serving. To serve, place a bed of lettuce on each serving plate, ladle a generous portion of the salad on top, then garnish with cabbage heart chunks and a sprinkling of fennel seeds.