Thai Spicy Coconut Shrimp Soup is without a doubt one of the tastiest seafood soups in the world. Super spicy, sumptuous, and hearty!
Thai Spicy Coconut Shrimp Soup Recipe-
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black peppercorns, to taste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger root
- 2 tbsp. Thai red curry paste
- 2 (12-ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 cups Chinese hot and sour vegetable broth
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- In a large saucepan, cook the basmati rice according to instructions on the package, then set aside.
- In a Dutch oven over medium high heat, melt the butter.
- Add in the shrimp, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook, stirring now and then, usually only 2 to 3 minutes, until the shrimp turn a bright pink, then remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Now add into the same pot the bell pepper, onion, and garlic, and cook, again stirring now and then, until softened and the onion is translucent, and the onion and garlic are fragrant—about 3 to 4 minutes should do it.
- Next add in the ginger, and cook, still stirring, until the ginger is fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add in the curry paste and whisk until well combined, about 1 minute.
- Whisk in vegetable stock and coconut milk, a little at a time, keep whisking and adding, until it is all well incorporated into the soup—about 2 minutes.
- Raise the heat and bring the soup to a rolling boil, then reduce heat and allow the soup to simmer until it gets a bit thicker—about 8 to10 minutes.
- Lastly add in the rice, lime juice, shrimp and cilantro, stir everything together well, let it simmer for just a couple minutes to reheat the shrimp.
- Serve immediately, and if you have one, keep your Thai Spicy Coconut Shrimp Soup nice and warm all meal long in a Tom Yum Heated Soup Serving Pot.
Note: This recipe is taken from our Thai Cuisine page.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)