(Photo Attributed to Author: jetalone)
Saba Shioyaki (Grilled Mackerel) Recipe-
- Take a proper sized, good quality frying pan, and cover its inside bottom with aluminum foil.
- Grate the pickled Daikon radish, and set aside.
- If you are using a whole mackerel, clean and fillet it.
- Now chop each fillet in half. Liberally salt both sides of the fillets.
- Heat the frying pan up to medium high, and lightly oil the surface of the aluminum foil.
- Skin side down, place the fillets into the pan. Fry for 7-8 minutes, then flip over and fry for an additional 6 to 7 minutes, until cooked through and browned on both sides.
- Place the fish on an attractive serving platter.
- To serve your Saba Shioyaki with a traditional flair, garnish with some grated radish beside each fillet, and drizzle a little ginger flavored soy sauce over the radish.