Now beloved almost all over the world, especially in Europe and the Americas, Dutch Apple Pie is perhaps one of the most famous desserts to come out of the Netherlands. Rich, sumptuous, and satisfying, and exemplary of the simple, straight-forward style of Dutch cuisine, Dutch Apple Pie is a winner wherever it is served.
Dutch Apple Pie Recipe-
- 5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4″ thick slices
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus 2 tbsp.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 pre-made pie crust, 9 inch (I like to use graham cracker crust for my Dutch Apple Pie)
- vanilla ice cream, and/or slices of sharp, aged cheddar cheese, for serving (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees C).
- Place your sliced apples into the pie crust, spread evenly.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 1/2 cup white sugar, 2 tablespoons of flour, the nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Pour this mixture over the apples in the pie pan; drizzle the lemon juice evenly all over the top.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of flour, and 1/2 cup of butter together; work the mixture, cutting and chopping the butter into it, until well incorporated into a chunky topping mixture. Spread this mixture evenly all over the top of the pie mixture.
- Now take two 15 inch pieces of parchment paper and doubly enclose the pie; fold the edges up securely. Place the pie on a baking pan, place in the oven, and bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the pie from the oven, place on a wire rack to cool, and split open the parchment paper.
- Serve your Dutch Apple Pie while nice and warm. Delicious and popular garnishes are a dollop of vanilla ice cream on top, or a slice of good quality, aged sharp cheddar cheese. Some people (myself included) like to lay a slice of cheese on top of the hot slice of pie, so the cheese starts melting some, then add a scoop of ice cream on top of that. The combination of hot and cold and sweet and tangy is just superb!
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)