There is mac and cheese, and there is mac and cheese. But THIS Monster Macaroni and Cheese recipe is the hands-down best of the best!
Monster Macaroni and Cheese Recipe-
- salt, to taste
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 lb. cavatappi pasta
- 1 quart whole milk
- 1 stick (8 tbsp.) unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 12 oz. grated Gruyere cheese
- 8 oz. grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 cups fresh white bread crumbs (about 5 slices of bread, crusts removed, and shredded)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Drizzle the oil into a large cooking pot filled 2/3 with boiling salted water. Add the cavatappi and cook according to the package instructions – usually 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well in a large sieve or colander.
- While the pasta cooks, heat the milk in a small saucepan, stopping short of boiling it.
- In another large cooking pot, melt 6 tablespoons of the butter, then add and stir in the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the heated milk and cook for a couple minutes more, until smooth textured and nicely thickened.
- Turn off the heat, add and stir in the two cheeses, 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste), pepper, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add and stir in the cooked pasta.
- Pour the entire mixture into a 3-quart baking dish.
- Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter, and then combine them with the bread crumbs; sprinkle the butter soaked crumbs evenly on top of the macaroni and cheese.
- Bake for about half an hour, or until the cavatappi is browned on the top and the sauce is bubbly.
- Let your Monster Macaroni and Cheese cool down and set up for about ten minutes, and then serve while still nice and very warm.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)