The All American BLT Sandwich is a nationwide immensely popular and favorite lunch item. Really goes well with some hot tomato soup. The “BLT” represents the three main ingredients, Bacon, Lettuce, and Tomato.
All American BLT Sandwich Recipe-
(makes 2 sandwiches)
- 4 slices multi-grain American style sandwich bread (Note: You can use white or whole wheat bread too, multi-grain is my favorite, but you must use American style sliced sandwich bread for this sandwich to have the correct overall texture and blend of flavors.
- 4 to 8 large leaves of iceberg lettuce
- 6 slices thick-cut pork bacon, cut in half cross-wise
- 1 large, ripe red tomato, thick sliced
- fine salt and ground black pepper
- sandwich spreads of your choice: American favorites are mayonnaise (I prefer the olive oil mayo, it is healthier and lower in calories), ketchup, and mustard (plain, or Dijon Gray Poupon, or Spicy Whole Grain Dijon)
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- This next step is the one that is a little more to do than a “normal” BLT. Take your halved slices of thick-cut bacon, divide the 12 half slices into two groups of six, and weave the pieces together, in a tic-tac-toe pattern (see picture below). On a baking tray lined with tin or aluminum foil, place the two weaves in the oven and let cook until the bacon is no longer “chewy” but not so long that it is crispy and will crumble apart from the weave.
- While the bacon is cooking, toast the bread slices, tear off some nice large leaves of lettuce (you want at least a two-leaf layer the full size of or larger than the surface of your bread slices), and slice your tomato – nice and thick, about 1/4″ thick is good. Bacon is a very strong flavor, and you want the ripe tomato flavor to stand up well to it.
- By the time the bread is toasted and you have assembled the above, check on the bacon. If it is done, take the weaves out of the oven and place them on some paper towel to absorb most of the grease, and pat the tops of the weaves with another paper towel. Your finished, cooked and de-greased weave can now be placed on the toasted bread slice.
- Dress the slices of toast with your sandwich spread(s) of choice, and assemble the sandwiches. Lay the bacon weave on first, then the tomato, sprinkle some salt and pepper on the tomato, then the lettuce leaves, and finally the top slice of toast.
Now chow down on your classic All American BLT sandwich!