The people of Haiti consider Lambi a la Creole (Haitian Conch in Creole Sauce) a delicacy. My bet is, after you try this dish, that you will, too.
Lambi a la Creole Recipe-
- 1 lb. fresh Conch meat, shelled, cleaned, filleted, and cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, rough chopped
- 1 cup water (or as needed)
- 1 large ripe red tomato, rough chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup finely chopped green onions
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- 3 tbsp. vinegar
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves, bruised and minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp. scallion infused olive oil
- Freshly ground course sea salt and black peppercorns, to taste
- Place the Conch pieces in a mixing bowl with the vinegar and enough water to just cover all the Conch pieces, stir well, then set aside and allow conch to marinate in the vinegar water for a good 2 hours.
- Drain the liquid off the Conch in a colander or large sieve, and pat dry.
- In a large skillet or sauce pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat, and sauté the yellow onion, garlic and green onions for about 2 to 3 minutes, until the yellow onion is translucent and fragrant.
- Now reduce the heat to medium, add in all the remaining ingredients, including the Conch, grind in salt and pepper to taste, and cook, stirring often, for about 45 minutes, or until the Conch is fully tenderized.
- Serve your Lambi a la Creole while nice and hot, with freshly cooked rice.