Every good Southern Soul Food cook worth his or her salt, will know how to prepare the unmistakably delicious Southern Fried Chicken dish. There are several different styles, but all of them include breading the chicken and frying it in deep oil. Not the healthiest dish, if eaten all the time, lots of cholesterol, but once in a while? … go ahead and treat yourself to one of America’s pride and joy meals coming from the South – Southern Fried Chicken just can’t be beat, for flavor and enjoyment!
Southern Fried Chicken Recipe-
- 2 lb. whole chicken
- peanut oil, for deep frying
For the Sauce-
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- 1 cup hot sauce (My preference is Sriracha Hot Sauce, but you can use a milder hot sauce, as per your tastes)
For the Seasoning Rub-
- 1-1⁄2 tsp. salt
- 1-1⁄2 tsp. freshly ground black peppercorns
- 1⁄2 tsp. garlic powder
For the Dredging Mixture-
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp. salt
- Steam the whole chicken for 30 minutes, until just partially tender. Allow to cool, then cut it into legs, thighs, wings, and breast halves pieces.
- Heat the peanut oil in a large, deep-walled skillet or cooking pot to 350° Fahrenheit (Caution: do not fill more than within 1-1/2″ of the skillet’s top – the hot oil will be sputtering and dangerous).
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, for your sauce mixture. Add in the hot sauce, and stir together well.
- Pour this sauce into a large, resealable plastic bag.
- Now make your seasoning mixture: Using a smaller mixing bowl, combine 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black peppercorns, and 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder.
- Using yet another, larger bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt, for your dredging mixture.
- Rinse the chicken pieces well and pat dry with a cloth or paper towel.
- Liberally sprinkle the chicken pieces all over, coating thoroughly, with the seasoning blend.
- Working in batches as needed, put the chicken pieces into the bag of sauce mixture; roll and toss them around inside to coat thoroughly.
- One piece at a time, roll and dredge the chicken pieces through the flour mixture, and then carefully drop them into the hot oil. (Note: do not overcrowd the skillet or pot – you don’t want the pieces touching each other)
- Deep-fry the chicken pieces until they are a rich, deep golden brown and crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the done pieces (bigger pieces will take longer, remember, and white meat will cook a bit faster than the dark meat) and place on a paper-towel-lined tray or platter to allow excess oil to drain off.
- To make sure a piece is well done, check by piercing to the bone with a kitchen fork in the thickest part with a fork. If the juices run clear, it is done.
- Serve your Southern Fried Chicken (for a real, authentic Southern Soul Food meal) with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Mixed Greens with Ham, and Monster Mac and Cheese.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)