Choripan con Chimichurri is a favorite Argentinian sandwich, a grilled sausage in a sourdough bun with a spicy garlic parsley sauce.
Choripan con Chimichurri Recipe-
- 8 small sourdough sandwich buns (or 2 long buns, crosscut into quarter lengths)
- 2 tbsp. scallion infused olive oil
- 4 oz. sliced very thin onions
- 2 lb. sausages, such as bratwurst, German (Landjaeger), Polish, Italian, or andouille
- 12 oz. prepared chimichurri sauce
Note: as an alternative, you can also use Red Chimichurri Sauce. It involves a bit more work, this special recipe is not typically available in stores, but whipping up some for grilled meat dishes like this Choripan con Chimichurri is well worth it – super tasty!
- Preheat your grille to high heat.
- Slice the buns in half lengthwise with a sharp knife.
- While the grille is heating up, heat the oil in a large skillet. Sauté the sliced onions for about 5 minutes, or until nicely caramelized, then turn off the heat and cover the skillet to keep the onions warm.
- Slice the sausages in half lengthwise, and place them on the grill. Cook until well browned on both sides and cooked through.
- Now place the sausages, cut side down, into the skillet with the onions, turn the heat up to medium low, and cook the sausages stirred in with the onions for just 2 to 3 minutes, long enough for their flavors to blend. Flip the sausages over after a minute or two.
- While the sausages and onions cook together, place the buns, cut side down, on the grill, with the heat at just medium-high. Grille them long enough to heat through and have grille burns on the cut sides.
- Remove the buns from the grill, and crosscut them into fourths (if you are using long buns).
- Crosscut the sausages into lengths equal to the length of your buns.
- Fill each bun with a chunk of sausage, along with some of the sautéed onions, and then slather on a generous portion of the chimichurri sauce.
- That’s it! Serve your Choripan con Chimichurri while nice and hot, and with extra chimichurri sauce on the side for people who want more of it.