Jollof Rice with Chicken Recipe-
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into large pieces
- 3 tbsp. sunflower oil
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 3 tbsp. tomato purée
- 1 Scotch Bonnet chili pepper, seeds left in, and minced
- 1 chicken stock cube
- 1 Maggi cube seasoning (a must ingredient for authentic results)
- 14 oz. basmati rice
- 1 red bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped fine (optional)
- 1 yellow bell pepper, de-seeded and chopped fine (optional)
- 6 oz. fresh okra, halved, de-seeded and chopped fine (optional)
- bunch fresh cilantro, roughly chopped, as garnish (optional)
For the Ginger and Chili Base-
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 – 14 oz. cans plum tomatoes
- thumb-size piece fresh root ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 Scotch bonnet chili pepper, seeds left in, and minced
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tbsp. of the oil in a large deep skillet over medium-high heat then add the meat and sauté for about 5 minutes until golden all over. Remove from skillet, place on a platter and set aside.
- Add the rest of the oil to the skillet and sauté the onions until fragrant and translucent, about 3-4 minutes. While the onions cook, prepare your ginger and chili base. Place the garlic, tomatoes, ginger and chili into a food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Add the tomato purée to the onions and sauté for another 2 minutes then add the ginger and chili mix. Crumble in the chicken and Maggi stock cubes, stir well, then pour in 20 oz. boiling water. Add the browned chicken pieces back into the skillet, bring everything to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Put the basmati rice into a large bowl, cover with cold water and wash the grains using your hands. Tip the water out carefully, then repeat twice until the water runs clear. Add the washed rice into the skillet, adjust the heat so it returns to a lively simmer, put a lid on the skillet. If the lid is not a real tight fit, placed some tin or aluminum foil over the skillet first, then seal the contents with the lid – you don’t want any steam to escape. Simmer-cook your Jollof Rice with Chicken for another 20-25 minutes.
- If you are including vegetables, at this point, remove the lid (the rice won’t be done yet) and scatter the chopped vegetables all over the rice. Re-cover and cook for another 10-12 minutes until the vegetables are softened and the rice tender.
- Now stir and mix the vegetables all through the rice and, using a fork, remove the chicken pieces from the dish.
- To serve, place the rice in a large mound in the center of a large attractive serving platter, and place the chicken pieces around the perimeter of the platter.
- Garnish your Jollof Rice with Chicken dish with chopped fresh cilantro, and set it on the table.