Cóctel de Gambas y Aguacate is a delightful, light and tasty cocktail, a Spanish Tapas featuring avocado and prawns.
Cóctel de Gambas y Aguacate Recipe-
- 3 large, fresh and ripe avocados
- 1 pound medium sized fresh shrimp, or, wild caught, quick frozen shrimp
- 8 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 green onions, finely minced
- 1 large white onion, peeled and rough chopped
- 1) 14 oz. can pitted olives
- 2 large cloves fresh garlic, chopped fine
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 oz. unsweetened heavy whipping cream
- Fresh cilantro leaves, left whole, but crushed and bruised with the flat side of a wide knife, to release the fragrant oils
- slices of fresh lime, for serving
- Unthaw (if you are using frozen) and peel the shrimp, then cut off the heads—save the heads to make stock with.
- Season the shrimp bodies with salt and pepper and fry in 3 tbsp. olive oil until well done and turning a bright pink.
- Peel the avocados and remove the pits. Thick slice two of them and set aside.
- Take the third avocado, and finely chop the flesh. In a mixing bowl, place the chopped avocado, garlic, whipping cream and the remaining 5 tbsp. of olive oil. Beat ingredients together by hand or with a handheld electric blender, until you have a silky smooth purée. Season with salt and pepper to taste, mixing them well throughout the purée.
- To assemble the dish, lay a bed of chopped onion on each serving plate, along with several pitted olives, then a layer of shrimp, topped with avocado slices. Now spoon on top a generous portion of the purée.
- Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving and, just before presenting your Cóctel de Gambas y Aguacate to the table, sprinkle some crushed cilantro leaves atop each serving. Then relax and enjoy!