Provoleta is a grilled provolone cheese dish. If you’ve never tried this, you are in for a real treat. Very filling, marvelously tasty – it can be a whole meal for 2 or 3 people, with maybe just some salad on the side.
- 1 wheel (round) of provolone cheese, about 1″ to `1-1/4″ thick
- scallion infused olive oil
- 1 tbsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. dried Italian seasoning
- Scrape and clean your grille grate well, then fire up your grille to medium-high flame
- Coat both sides of the provolone wheel generously with the olive oil.
- Spread the herbs and pepper flakes liberally on both sides of the cheese, pressing down and patting to ensure good adhesion.
- Provoleta is a very time-sensitive dish, it has to be eaten immediately after being prepared, so clear your mind and schedule once you place the cheese on the grille, and let everyone know to be ready to chow down in just a few minutes.
- Put the cheese on the grill, and wait and watch for about one minute. As soon as it starts melting on the bottom side, turn it over with a metal spatula, pulling up as much as you can. If a bit of cheese sticks to the grate, no worries – it will burn quickly off.
- Now wait another minute or so, and then take it off the grille, again scraping and pulling up as much as you can.
- Plop your provoleta on a serving platter and shout out, “Provoleta time!” and then cut yourself a big piece before everyone else makes this delicious treat disappear in a matter of a few seconds!
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)