Pernil Asado is a Colombian style of roasted pork le.
Pernil Asado (Colombian Style Roasted Pork Leg) Recipe-
- 10 to 12 lb. bone-in pork loin
- 1 large white onion, peeled and rough chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and rough chopped
- 8 scallions, peeled and rough chopped
- 12 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 3 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 tbsp. white vinegar
- 6 cups dark beer (Guinness works well with Pernil Asado)
- 1-1/2 tbsp. achiote powder (a must ingredient for authentic Pernil Asado flavor)
- Freshly ground fine sea salt and black peppercorns, to taste
- Take a large roasting pan that is oven and refrigerator friendly and place your pork loin in it.
- Make your marinade. Put the vinegar, salt and pepper, ground cumin, garlic, onion, red bell pepper and scallions in a blender or food processor and puree until one smooth, combined mixture.
- Use a sharp knife to make deep parallel cuts across the width of the meat on all sides of the pork loin. Rub the marinade all over the pork, making sure it gets pushed into the incisions as well. Cover the pan with its lid (or cover with plastic wrap) and place pan in the refrigerator to marinate for a good 24 hours.
- The next day, combine the beer and the achiote powder well in a mixing bowl, and then pour the mixture over the seasoning-rubbed pork loin. Cover pan again, and return to the fridge to marinate for another 24 hours. Every 6 to 8 hours, turn the loin over.
- The next day, before you want to start preparing your Pernil Asado, remove the pan from the refrigerator and allow to warm up to room temperature—about 30 to 45 minutes.
- Position your oven rack in the lowest position in the oven, and preheat the oven to 325F.
- Cover the pan with its lid (if there is no lid, this time cover it, tightly sealed, with tin or aluminum foil) and roast for 6 to 7 hours, or until so tender it pulls apart easily with the probe of a fork. During the roasting time, occasionally baste the loin with the juices in the pan. Do this every 20 to 30 minutes.
- When the pork is well tenderized, remove the pan’s covering, crank the oven heat up to high broil, and broil the loin for 6 or 7 minutes, or until the skin is a burnished, reddish-brown color, crackling and crispy.
- Remove from oven, place the loin on a rack to cool and “set up” for about 10 minutes.
- To serve, place the whole loin on a large serving platter while still very warm, and slice off portions for each person. Provide the extra juices from the pan in a pouring bowl set on the table, for each person to drizzle over their sliced Pernil Asado as desired.