An age-old Momma’s and Grandma’s remedy for the common cold in America, is the classic, tried and true, delicious, soothing, comforting and healing, Chicken Soup. This following Get Well Chicken Soup is among the tastiest homemade chicken soup recipes ever to come out of the kitchens of America. Enjoy, and feel better!
Get Well Soon Chicken Soup Recipe-
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 pound chicken parts (livers, gizzards, hearts)
- 1 parsnip, peeled and chopped into 1” pieces
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 stalks celery, leafy tops and all, tough bottoms cut off, the rest chopped into 2” to 3” chunks
- 4 large cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 large whole onion, peeled and quartered
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds of turnips, peeled and diced into ½” cubes
- 1/2 cup uncooked white Arborio rice
- 1 tsp. whole black peppercorns
- 2 tbsp. fresh chopped dill weed, bound into a bunch and tied off in cheesecloth
- salt and pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- fresh cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Place the chicken parts, onion, garlic, carrots, parsnip, and celery in a large stockpot with 12 cups of cold water, and bring to a boil.
- Rub the inside of the whole chicken with salt while the water is heating.
- Place the chicken in the pot, put a lid on it, reduce heat to a gentle simmer, and cook for 25 to 35 minutes. Check to see if the chicken is fully cooked tender with a fork. When well cooked, remove it from the pot and set aside for now. Leave the chicken parts in the pot.
- Now season the soup with the onion quarters, salt, and pepper. Allow the soup to simmer for a good hour, an hour and a half is even better.
- Once the chicken has cooled to where you can handle it, de-bone it and remove the skins. Cut the meat into bite-sized cubed pieces, and again set aside.
- After an hour and a half, strain the soup; discard everything solid.
- In a large sauce pan, put in the oil and melt the butter, raise the heat to medium high, and bring the mixture to a heated froth.
- Add in the turnips and cubed chicken pieces, and sauté until chicken is browned and turnips are brown but still firm—about 3, no more than 4 minutes.
- Now take the sautéed turnips and chicken pieces and add them to the broth.
- Stir in the rice and cook, covered, over medium heat for about 15 minutes.
- Drop the bound and bunched fresh dill into the soup for one minute before serving, and remove before serving. Do a taste test and adjust salt and pepper levels to taste.
- Serve your Get Well Soon Chicken Soup while nice and warm, but not scalding hot, with a garnish of minced fresh cilantro and a top-sprinkling of fresh grated Parmesan cheese.