There are lots of beef stews, but until you have tried this Wilson Hearty Beef Stew, you have not yet known how wonderful a beef stew can be. This is my own special recipe. Wilson Hearty Beef Stew is an outgrowth of my interaction with my Ghanaian wife’s cooking. She is, in her own right, an amazing cook. She has introduced me to spices and food preparations that I had not yet known. Combined with my American ideas about how to cook a stew with her Ghanaian concepts, this Wilson Hearty Beef Stew came to be. Enjoy!
Wilson Hearty Beef Stew Recipe-
- 1 lb. beef sirloin steak meat
- 4 tbsp. Knorr Beef Flavor Granulated Bouillon
- 2 large whole bulbs garlic, cloves separated, peeled, and cut in half
- 2 small onions, or 1 large onion, peeled and rough chopped
- 2 large carrots, peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 3 potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-sized chunks
- 6 -8 piri-piri peppers chopped into quarters (African Red Devil Peppers – super hot! reduce numbers if you can’t take the heat)
- 8 oz. pitted black olives
- 8 0z. can cut green beans
- 2 quarts water
- 4 tbsp. tomato paste
- dried basil, to taste
- dried thyme, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 packet of Knorr thick tomato soup mix
- 2 tbsp. vegetable cooking oil
- Cut the beef sirloin into bite-sized chunks and place the chunks in a bowl. Spread the Knorr Beef Flavor Granulated Bouillon over the chunks, and, using your clean hands, mash and mold the seasoning into and around the meat, rubbing it in, ensuring thorough coating of all the pieces. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel or Saran-wrap, and allow to marinate in the fridge. Let the meat sit for at least an hour before you move on to the next steps.
- After at least one hour (longer is even better), take the meat out of the fridge. Heat the oil in a large skillet over high flame, and sauté the meat, stirring, until browned all over, but not well done yet inside.
- Place a large (4 quart minimum) cooking pot on the stove burner over high heat, and pour in the 2 quarts of water. Add and stir in the Knorr thick tomato soup mix. Also, add and stir in well the tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes, then add thyme, basil and salt to taste.
- Add into the pot the browned meat. Reduce heat and allow to cook at a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add into the pot the garlic, onions, carrots and potatoes. Cook at a simmer for another full hour, with the lid slightly ajar – you want the liquid to reduce and thicken.
- After an hour, add into the pot the black olives and cut green beans. Cook at just a very mild simmer for another 20-30 minutes.
- Do a taste test. Adjust seasonings if necessary. If adjustments are made, cook for a few minutes longer to allow the seasonings to get infused.
- Wilson Hearty Beef Stew can be served immediately, while fresh and nice and hot. You can serve it alone in a bowl, or poured over freshly cooked rice. Wilson Hearty Beef Stew will also keep well. Any stew not eaten right away can be stored in the fridge for a few days, and for longer storage just put it into Ziploc bags and keep it in the freezer. Stored and/or reheated, Wilson Hearty Beef Stew just gets better with time, like a fine wine!
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)