Jamaican Beef Patties are the islands’ version of the globally popular meat pie. Uniquely Jamaican, though, with the Jerk seasoning really setting up the rich, savory and spicy flavors nicely.
Jamaican Beef Patties Recipe-
For the Dough-
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. yellow curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup margarine
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup water
For the Filling-
- 1 tbsp. Jerk seasoning
- 2 tbsp. margarine
- 1 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 tsp. red curry powder
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the 1-1/2 teaspoons of yellow curry powder, the flour, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Cut in 1/4 cup each of shortening and margarine, and chop and blend until the mixture takes on a texture similar to that of coarse crumbs. Add and stir the water in, until the mixture forms into a ball.
- Now mold the dough into a log, and slice into 10 equally sized sections. Roll out each section into a 6″ circle that is about 1/8″ thick, then set the circles aside for now.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt margarine. Sauté the onion and garlic until soft, translucent and fragrant.
- Add and stir in the ground beef. Season with the red curry powder, 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and the thyme. Cook, stirring continuously, until the beef is evenly browned.
- Now add and stir in the bread crumbs and beef broth, adjust the heat to just a simmer, and cook until all of the liquid has been absorbed. Take the skillet off of the burner.
- Spoon equal portions of the filling into the center of each pastry circle. Fold the outer edges together, encasing the filling, and taking care not to rupture the dough anywhere. Using a fork, press and seal the edges of the half-circles together.
- Brush the tops of the patties with the beaten egg, and place in the preheated oven. Bake for about half an hour, or until your Jamaican Beef Patties are a nice rich, golden brown color.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)