Boerenkool Stamppot is as traditional to Dutch cuisine as it gets. Rich, sumptuous and filling, a hot plate of Boerenkool Stamppot is comfort food at its best.
Boerenkool Stamppot Recipe-
- 2 lb. potatoes
- 2 white or yellow onions
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 lb. fresh kale
- 2 lb. smoked kielbasa sausage
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 tbsp. butter
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Peel the potatoes and chop them into small chunks
- Peel the onions and dice them.
- Wash, trim, and rough chop the kale.
- Place the kale, potatoes and onion in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat, and add in enough water to cover everything; Add in a bay leaf, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. When a boil is achieved, reduce the heat to just a lively simmer. Cover the skillet, and gently boil for about half an hour.
- While the vegetable mixture is simmering, in another skillet, steam the smoked sausage until it is heated through.
- When the vegetables are cooked, remove the bay leaf, drain the veggies, and then roughly mash them together. Do not pulverize into a puree, but just enough so that the mixture is a chunky combination of the kale, potatoes and onions.
- Now, add and stir in the butter and milk, and combine well throughout the mixture.
- Serve your Boerenkool Stamppot while nice and hot. Place the vegetables on a large serving platter, with the smoked sausage on top. Everyone eating can cut off a chunk of the sausage and scoop up as much veggies as they want. Have more salt and pepper on the table for each person’s taste preferences.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)