Noni Afghani (Afghani flat bread) is a staple in Afghan cuisine. Very similar to the Kenyan chapatis, it is a simple, easy to make, and somewhat bland bread that serves as an “edible utensil”. You break off pieces of the Noni Afghani, use them to scoop up portions of the entrees, and pop the whole delightful mouthful in your mouth.
Noni Afghani Recipe-
- 1-1⁄2 cups warm water
- 1⁄4 oz. (7 grams) dry yeast
- 1 tbsp. sugar
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1⁄4 cup corn oil
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. black cumin seeds (important ingredient, for authentic results)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix together the yeast, sugar and 1/2 cup of the warm water, and let it set for 10 minutes. When a froth appears, sprinkle 1/2 tsp. of the all-purpose flour over it and let it continue to work for another 5 minutes. The froth will rise fast.
- Put the rest of the flour in a large mixing bowl and sprinkle salt over it. Make a depression in the middle of the flour and add in the yeast mixture and the oil. Stir and blend to mix together well – add small amounts water at a time, until you have created a moist, soft, malleable dough.
- Now knead the dough well for a good 5 minutes. Place the dough ball back into the bowl, cover with a towel, and let it rise for 1-1/2 hours.
- When fully risen, for 1-1/2 hours, punch the ball down. Divide the dough into 8 equal parts and roll each portion into a ball. Use a rolling pin to roll each ball into an oval shape, about 6″ to 7″ long and 1/2″ thick. If desired, draw the tines of a fork along the length of each noni for a decorative design.
- In another mixing bowl, combine the egg yolk and 1 tbsp. of water, then brush each noni with this mixture. Sprinkle black cumin seeds over each noni.
- Place the nonis on an ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes
- Serve your Noni Afghani while fresh and warm, with almost any Afghani dish or meal.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)