Ropa Vieja (Shredded Beef) is a classic Cuban dish, a national favorite. Similar to the pulled pork so popular in the Americas, but of course very uniquely Cuban in its spices and flavors.
Ropa Vieja Recipe-
- 3 lb. premium quality (grass fed is best, and well marbled) chuck roast
- 1 medium size yellow onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 large white onion, diced fine
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup red dry wine (Cabernet or Merlot works best)
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, de-seeded, and rough chopped
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, rough chopped
- 3 tbsp. tomato paste
- 2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season the chuck roast with salt and pepper on all sides.
- In a large cooking pot over medium high heat, brown the roast all over with 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- Add in enough water to surround the meat, but not enough to cover it.
- Now the yellow onion slices into the water, and bring to a boil.
- Once a good boil is achieved, turn the heat down to where the liquid is at a lively simmer; cover the pot and allow to cook for at least 1-1/2 hours, longer if necessary, the meat must be fully tenderized.
- Remove from the burner and allow to cool.
- Removing any excess fat as you work, shred the roast into strands, then set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil over medium heat, and sauté the bell pepper, diced white onion, and garlic for 3 or 4 minutes, until the onion is fragrant and translucent.
- Now add the red wine, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes, cumin, bay leaf, salt and pepper. Stir and blend the mixture together well, then cover the skillet and simmer for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Put the shredded beef in the skillet, cover, and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring now and then.
- To serve Ropa Vieja, remove bay leaves, stir one more time, and place your Ropa Vieja on a large serving platter. Ropa Vieja is traditionally served with white or yellow rice, black beans (garnished with finely diced white onions), and also fried plantains and/or fried yucca.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)