A true vegan dish, this Fried Green Tomatoes Sandwiches recipe is pure, satisfying delight in-between two thick pieces of yummy sourdough bread. And while you’re at it, a marvelous totally vegan lunch combines Fried Green Tomatoes Sandwiches with some freshly made, hot Classic American Tomato Soup – outstanding!
Fried Green Tomatoes Sandwiches Recipe-
(makes 6 sandwiches)
For the sauce-
- 3/4 cup olive oil mayonnaise
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 scallions, minced
- 2 tbsp. salsa verde
- 1-1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- fine sea salt, to taste
For the tomatoes and sandwiches-
- 1-1/2 lb. green tomatoes (about 6 medium-sized)
- 1 cup raw apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup raw, unrefined turbinado sugar
- 1 tbsp. fine sea salt (or to taste)
- 3 large dill pickles, sliced lengthwise, then crosscut in half
- 1 large red onion, peeled and sliced as thick or thin as per your tastes
- 3-4 oz. fresh bean sprouts (optional)
- 1 handful fresh dill (leaves and stems)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp. dark chili powder
- 4 large eggs
- scallion-infused olive oil, for frying
- 12 thick slices of sourdough bread
- about 2 tbsp. of chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- First make the sauce by combining the olive oil mayo, salsa verde, cilantro, scallions, Worcestershire sauce and salt (to taste) in a mixing bowl. Cover and let chill in the refrigerator.
- Slice the green tomatoes about 1/4″ thick and place them in a large, wide-bottomed bowl.
- In medium-sized saucepan, combine the cider vinegar, sugar, dill weed, and 1 tablespoon salt (or to taste). Simmer the mixture gently over medium heat, stirring often, until the sugar dissolves – about 5 minutes should do it. Then add and stir in 2 cups of cold water.
- Pour this mixture into the large wide bowl all over the green tomatoes. Allow to sit and marinate for at least 1-1/2 hour, 2 is even better, at room temperature.
- While the tomatoes marinate, using a shallow mixing bowl, whisk together the chili powder, flour, cornmeal, and 1 teaspoon (or to taste) of salt. In another shallow bowl, whisk together the eggs, 2 tablespoons water and 1 teaspoon salt. In a large skillet, heat up about 1″ depth of the scallion-infused olive oil. If you have a deep-fry thermometer, you want to oil to reach 375 degrees F. If not, you will know the oil is hot enough when a couple drops of water dripped into the pan will sizzle and pop.
- When the time comes, drain the green tomatoes free of the marinade, and pat them dry with kitchen cloth or paper towel. Dredge the green tomato slices into and through the flour mixture (you will have to work in batches), then dip them into the egg mixture, and then dredge them once again in the flour mixture.
- Again working in batches, deep-fry the coated slices in the hot oil, turning only once, until the crusts are a rich, golden brown color – about 3 to 4 minutes per side should do it.
- Drain the slices on a large, paper towel-lined platter or baking tray, and season with just a sprinkling of salt.
- To assemble your fried green tomatoes sandwiches, first spread 6 slices of bread with some of the sauce. Next, layer on some sliced red onion, followed by some deep-fried green tomato slices, and then some slices of dill pickles. Distribute the onion, tomato and pickle slices evenly among the 6 sandwiches. If you are adding bean sprouts, lay them atop the pickles. Garnish each sandwich’s filling with a sprinkling of chopped fresh cilantro. Slather some sauce on the remaining 6 bread slices, and top the bottom, piled up slices with them.
- Serve your Fried Green Tomatoes Sandwiches while the tomato slices are still nice and warm. Goes just great with some hot tomato soup, too!
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)