Bul Go Gi Recipe-
- 1 pound beef flank steak, sliced very thin
- 5 tbsp. dark, mushroom flavored soy sauce
- 2-1/2 tbsp. brown sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped green onions
- 1 medium white onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp. minced fresh garlic
- 1 or 2 fresh Thai chili peppers, depending on how spicy hot you want your Bul Go Gi, finely minced
- 2 or 3 ripe roma plum tomatoes, finely diced and mashed
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- ¾ tsp. freshly ground black peppercorns
- Gochujang sauce, for a must have condiment!
- Make the Bul Go Gi marinade by combining the mashed tomatoes, sugar, green onions, minced pepper, sesame seeds, pepper, garlic and soy sauce, in a small bowl. In a larger bowl, place the sliced meat.
- Pour the marinade over the beef. Cover the bowl, refrigerate, and allow to marinate for at least 1 hour, 2 is better, and best yet, overnight.
- Using a grille, preferably, but you can also use a large skillet or wok, bring the heat up to high, with the grille or wok or skillet lightly oiled. Put the sliced onion in, and cook until slightly translucent and fragrant.
- Add in the beef and cook along with the onion, until the meat is cooked well through and just a bit charred. It won’t take long, because of it being so thinly sliced. About 1 to 2 minutes per side should do the trick.
- Serve hot, with freshly steamed rice, and a side vegetable dish and/or soup, if you wish to serve a complete meal. You can also just serve the Bul Go Gi by itself, as a mid day or afternoon tasty treat. Do, however, always provide some Gochujang sauce as a condiment.