Arroz de Coco e Papaia (Rice with Coconut and Papaya, pictured in lower left bowl) is beloved in Angola. Goes great with grilled meats, seafood, and salads.
Arroz de Coco e Papaia (Rice with Coconut and Papaya) Recipe-
- 200g (7 oz.) short grain white rice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. fine ground cinnamon
- 500ml (17 oz.) coconut milk
- 1 large ripe papaya, de-seeded, peeled and diced into small cubes
- In a large sauce pan or medium sized cooking pot, put all the rice, then add in the coconut milk and 60ml (2 oz.) of water, the salt, and cinnamon and bring to a rolling boil.
- Put a tight fitting lid on the pan or pot, turn the heat down until the liquid is at just a steady simmer, and cook for 20 minutes or so – check to see if the rice is tender, simmer longer if needed. If the rice is not done and the liquid has all cooked out, add just a little more water.
- Once the rice is fully done, fluff it with a fork, remove it from the heat and allow it to stand, still covered, for about 10 minutes.
- Take half of your diced papaya and mash the mash the cubes into a mush. Add the papaya mush into the rice, as well as the remaining papaya cubes, and fluff and stir all the ingredients together well.
- Lastly, put the pan or pot back on the burner, and reheat until nice and warm throughout, then serve your Arroz de Coco e Papaia.
Note: this rice goes very well with grilled meats and also seafood – especially the sweeter ones, like shrimp.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ emails are not shared with anyone. EVER.)