Breadfruit is especially popular on Saint Lucia. This recipe, Saint Lucian Baked Breadfruit Balls, is among the favorite ways it is prepared.
Saint Lucian Baked Breadfruit Balls Recipe-
- 1 medium sized breadfruit
- 1 large chicken egg
- ½ cup finely chopped white or yellow onions
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped fine
- 2 bunches of fresh parsley, chopped fine
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups of bread crumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cut the breadfruit into quarters. Remove the center stalk and skins.
- Bring a pot of salted water to a boil, and boil the breadfruit flesh until it is soft and malleable.
- Drain the boiled breadfruit free of excess water in a colander or large sieve, and place the breadfruit in a bowl. Use a potato masher and pulverize the softened flesh. Set aside for a while, to allow it to cool down enough to handle.
- When cooled enough to handle, add and stir in the rest of the ingredients, and blend together thoroughly. (Note: do not add in the bread crumbs)
- Shape the seasoned mixture into balls – the size of the balls is your choice, but of course the larger they are, the longer they will take to cook.
- Roll the balls in the bread crumbs, making sure they are coated evenly all over.
- Place the balls on a baking pan, being careful not to let them touch each other. Put them in the preheated oven, and bake for approximately 30 to 35 minutes. Baking time may take longer if your balls are large. A good test is to poke a toothpick into the middle of a ball. If it pulls out clean, your Saint Lucian Baked Breadfruit Balls are ready to serve.
Note: For more wonderful dishes with BIG taste from tiny countries, go to our Smallest Countries Worldwide Cuisines page!
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)