Sausage and Skillet Peppers, Italian style, is a wonderful “comfort food” meal. And you can adjust it to whatever level of hot and spicy you want.
Sausage and Skillet Peppers Recipe-
- 1 ½ tbsp. butter
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- hot chili peppers, fine chopped, to taste (optional)
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large white onion, sliced
- kosher salt, to taste
- freshly ground black peppercorns, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 (15-ounce) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 4 fresh whole wheat sandwich rolls, optional
- Melt the butter and heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the peppers, onions, salt and pepper, and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the basil, and garlic and cook two more minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir. Add the tomatoes and stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the browned bits. Bring to a simmer, covered.
- Meanwhile, grill the sausage over medium heat, turning them until golden and cooked through, about 15 minutes. Set aside on a cutting board and slice into 1/2-inch pieces. Add the sausage to the pan with the onions and peppers, and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about 20 minutes total. Serve your Sausage and Skillet Peppers with rolls or Italian bread.
- Oh, and don’t forget to pass the Chianti!