There are duck recipes, lots of them, and many of them are wonderful. But this Braised Orange Duck recipe, with its slightly Asian influence? … Top of the tops!
Braised Orange Duck Recipe-
- 4 duck breasts
- 1 teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
- 2 oz. fresh water
- 2 tbsp. caster sugar
- 1 tbsp. freshly grated rind of California navel orange
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. mustard seeds
- fine sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 12 oz. fresh orange juice
- 13 oz. chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise pod
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and rough chopped
- 2 tbsp. 100% pure Maple syrup
- 1/4 cup good quality Cognac
- 4 oz. butter, chopped into small pieces
- 1 California navel orange, sliced thinly
- 4 green onions, trimmed and chopped fine, for garnish
- roasted sesame seeds, for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit (190° Celsius).
- If your duck breasts have skins on still, slice the skins away and discard.
- In a large, heavy duty skillet, over medium-high flame, heat the oil until sizzling, and then fry the duck meat, stirring and turning occasionally, until nicely golden brown all over. About 4 to 6 minutes should do it.
- Transfer the cooked duck meat to an oven tray that has been sprayed with some baking/frying oil. Place in the preheated oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until medium rare.
- Remove meat from the oven and allow to stand at room temperature, covered in foil, for 5 minutes.
- After the five minute cooling period, chop the duck into large, bite-sized pieces.
- In a saucepan, bring the orange juice, broth, spices, garlic, maple syrup and Cognac to a boil. Gently cook until the volume is reduced by half. Whisk in the butter. This is your Braised Orange Duck serving sauce.
- To serve your Braised Orange Duck, ladle generous portions of the duck meat into 4 serving bowls. Spoon a nice helping of the serving sauce over the duck meat. Top with garnishes of chopped green onions and toasted sesame seeds, and a few slices of orange.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)