There are meat pies to be found in the cuisines of many cultures worldwide. But none are any better than this recipe from “down under”, Australian Meat Pie.
Australian Meat Pie Recipe-
- 18 oz. (500 grams) lean (less than 10% fat) ground beef
- 1 medium sized yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup water, divided
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Freshly ground black peppercorns, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp. whole milk
- 2 tbsp. scallion infused olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 degrees Celsius).
- In a large skillet or saucepan, heat the oil over medium high heat, and sauté the ground beef and onions until meat is browned and the onions are translucent and fragrant.
- Add 3/4 cup of the water, bouillon cubes (crush the cubes first), oregano, nutmeg, ketchup and Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, cover the skillet, and cook for 15 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir the flour with the remaining 1/4 cup of water until it is a smooth paste, then add the paste into the meat mixture, stir well to combine thoroughly, then remove skillet from the burner and allow to cool.
- Grease a 9” pie dish, and line it with one sheet of puff pastry.
- Now spoon or ladle in the cooled filling meat mixture, distributing evenly.
- Whisk the egg with 2 tbsp. milk, until a little frothy, then brush the exposed edges of the pastry sheet with the milky egg froth.
- Place another pastry sheet on top, and press the edges down with a fork to seal the top and bottom sheets together. Trim any excess edges away, and then brush the entire top with the rest of the milky egg froth.
- Place pie in your pre-heated over and bake for 15 minutes, or until the pastry is becoming golden colored, then reduce the heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 Celsius) and bake another 25 minutes, or until the pastry is a nice rich, deep golden brown.
- Australian Meat Pie goes great with salads, almost any vegetable side dish, and/or fried potatoes.