As delicious as this looks and sounds, this Crème Caramel dish can be classified as among the simple French food recipes. Simple in terms of the ingredients, and quite easy to make. Enjoy your Crème Caramel for dessert, and have a nice strong cup of coffee to wash it down.
Crème Caramel Recipe-
- 1 cup granulated white cane sugar
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat a 4-quart saucepan of water to boiling on high to use for a water bath, later.
- Using a 2-quart saucepan, heat 2/3 cup sugar with cold water on medium heat until melted and a light caramel color, stirring the pan occasionally. Pour the caramel immediately into eight 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins, dividing the caramel into equal portions for each ramekin.
- With a wire whisk, in large bowl, beat the eggs and egg whites, and add the remaining 1/3 cup sugar, continuing to whisk until well blended. Next beat in the milk and vanilla. Pour the custard mixture into the custard cups or ramekins, again making sure each ramekin get the same portion.
- Place the cups in a roasting pan large enough to hold all 8 cups; pour the boiling water into the pan until it comes halfway up the sides of the cups. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the center of the custard is set firm. Remove custard cups from roasting pan and let cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours or until the custard is well-chilled.
- To serve your Crème Caramel, with a small spatula, loosen carefully the custard from the sides of the containers. Flip each crème caramel upside down and onto a dessert plate; tapping the cup will help release the custard. Hold the cup over the inverted custard on the plate long enough to allow all of the caramel syrup to drip from the cups onto the custard.
- Crème Caramel goes wonderfully with some freshly brewed, French dark roast coffee.