It just cannot ever get more “American” than the super-delicious All American Apple Pie. Simply elegant, a real taste treat to finish off any good meal.
All American Apple Pie Recipe-
- 3/4 cup granulated cane sugar
- 3/4 cup tightly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 7 to 8 cups peeled and sliced thin, semi-sweet apples (recommend Gala and/or Washington Red Delicious varieties, unique to America)
- 1-1/2 tbsp. 100% pure lemon juice
- Pastry for double crust 10″ pie
- 1-1/2 tbsp. salted butter
- 2 large egg whites
- Additional sugar
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, spices and sugar, then set aside.
- Toss the apple slices with the lemon juice in a large bowl. Add in the sugar and spice mixture, and mix and toss to coat the slices evenly.
- Line a 10″ pie dish with the bottom crust. Trim the pastry even with the edges.
- Now fill the dish with the apple mixture, and dot the mixture several places with tabs of butter.
- Roll out the remaining pastry large and round enough to fit over the top of the pie, install it, trim any excess off the edges, then using a fork, seal and flute the edges. Use a knife to cut some slits in the top pastry.
- Beat the egg white until nice and foamy, then brush the foam over the pastry. Sprinkle the top with some sugar.
- Cover the edges of the top pastry with aluminum foil, the place in the over and bake for 25 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for another 20-25 minutes, or until the crust is turning a pleasant golden brown and the filling is bubbling up through the slits. Cool your All American Apple Pie on a wire rack until it’s not so hot you can’t eat it, but still very warm.
- Tastes wonderful served very warm with either vanilla ice cream or whipped cream on top. Some Americans also enjoy their All American Apple Pie with a slice of medium sharp cheddar cheese sandwiched between the pie and the ice cream.
- Yield: 8 very happy people will get a nice sized slice.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)