This Spicy Black Bean Burger can be made the Vegan way, too, just substitute potato starch for the egg, and choose dairy-free buns in the recipe below.
Spicy Black Bean Burger Recipe-
- 1 can (15 oz.) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 Roma plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped fine
- 1 very large ripe tomato, cut into 4 slices, ¼” thick
- 1 habanero pepper, chopped fine (seeded, for a milder (still spicy hot) burger, leave seeds in if you like super spicy hot)
- 1 large red onion sliced into 1/8” thick rounds, then crosscut into thin strips
- 1 large egg (or 2 tbsp. potato starch, for vegans)
- 2 tbsp. Frank’s Original Cayenne Hot Sauce (for authentic American, this one is the sauce of choice)
- 1 tsp. fresh cilantro, minced
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 enriched wheat hamburger buns (or, for vegans, use gluten, egg, and dairy-free buns)
- Four leaves of iceberg lettuce
- 1 very large, or 2 small ripe avocados
- Mustard, mayonnaise, ketchup, or any other spreads of your choice
- Using a food processor (or electric blender) puree the black beans. Transfer the puree to a large bowl.
- Add into the puree the bread crumbs, chopped Roma tomatoes, egg, jalapeno, garlic, hot sauce, and cilantro. Stir and blend the mixture together thoroughly.
- Mold the mixture into 4 equal size patties.
- Heat the oil to medium high in a large skillet or saucepan, and fry the patties for about 5 or 6 minutes on each side, until they take on a nice golden brown color.
- Assemble the sandwiches by slathering the insides of the top and bottom bun slices with the spread(s) of your choice; put a lettuce leaf on the bottom bun first, then some sliced red onion, then a slice of tomato, then the burger patty, and lastly some slices of avocado.
- Your Spicy Black Bean Burger will go great with thick cut, Oven Baked French Fries.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)