Kukulhu Riha is a coconut curry chicken dish that is outstanding and totally unique in flavor and texture.
Kukulhu Riha Recipe-
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 lb.) skinned and chopped into 8 to 10 pieces
- 4 tbsp. cooking oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- ¼ cup chopped curry leaves
- 1 tsp. freshly grated ginger root
- 4 large cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 Scotch Bonnet hot chili pepper, finely chopped (leave seeds in for super hot, remove seeds for less hot)
- 3 Pandan (rampe/ raambaa) leaves, chopped into ½” pieces
- 1 tbsp. cardamom seeds
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. chicken curry powder
- 1 cup coconut cream
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large, heavy duty saucepan or skillet over medium-high flame, heat the oil.
- Sauté the garlic, onions, ginger, pandan and curry leaves, stirring constantly.
- After a couple minutes add the chili powder, and while still stirring, add 1/2 cup water and the curry powder.
- Reduce the heat to low, the curry mixture at just a lively simmer, and cook, still stirring frequently, until the curry is bubbling and well blended.
- Now add in the chicken pieces, stir and toss until all the pieces are coated well all over.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add in the cardamom seeds, Scotch Bonnet hot chili pepper, coconut milk and the remaining 1/2 cup of water and continue cooking at a simmer, stirring now and then.
- When the chicken is fork tender and cooked through, add in the coconut cream, stir it into the dish thoroughly, and simmer for about 2 or 3 more minutes.
- Serve your Kukulhu Riha right away, while nice and hot.