Arroz Blanco con Verduras is a favorite side dish in Mexico, white rice with vegetables. Goes great with just about any Mexican entrees, and is light on the palate – a nice balance to some of the more hot and spicier dishes. You can use any assortment of your favorite veggies, really, as long as you prepare the dish in this method and using these seasoning ingredients.
Arroz Blanco con Verduras Recipe-
Ingredients: (serves 6)
- 1 1/2 cups milk, divided
- 2 ounces Philadelphia Kraft cream cheese
- 1 cup rice, soaked in warm water, rinsed thoroughly and allowed to dry
- 2 tablespoons pure corn oil
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 green onions or scallions, including green part, chopped
- 1 cup chopped fresh white button mushrooms
- 1-2 serrano chiles, fresh, or dried and rehydrated
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 sprig fresh, or 2 tsp. dried flaked Mexican epazote herb
- 2/3 cup cooked or thawed corn kernels
- 2/3 cup cooked or thawed green peas
- 2/3 cup cooked or thawed diced carrots
- salt to taste
- In a blender, puree 1/2 cup milk with the cream cheese and set aside. In a medium-size heavy-bottomed saucepan (or a cazuela, for the real Mexican experience), heat the oil and saute the rice, stirring, until it forms clumps. Add the garlic, onion, mushrooms and chile and continue to saute, stirring, until the rice separates into individual grains.
- Add the water or broth and epazote , with salt to taste, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until the water has just been absorbed. Add the cup of milk that was not blended with the cheese, cover again, and continue to cook over low heat until the milk has been absorbed.
- Remove from heat, stir in corn, pour the cheese mixture over all, cover and let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Stir again, fluff up your Arroz Blanco con Verduras, and serve while still nice and warm.
Contact us and/or Join Our Mailing List
(We respect your privacy. Subscribers’ info are not shared with anyone. EVER)