Mixed Rice with Codfish is a classic Surinamese dish, and a national favorite.
Mixed Rice with Codfish Recipe-
- 5 oz. uncooked long grain white rice
- 2 oz. codfish fillet, minced
- 14 oz. codfish fillets, chopped into bite-sized nuggets
- 1 medium sized onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 medium sized tomatoes, diced fine
- 12 tbsp. vegetable cooking oil
- 2 chicken stock cubes, crushed
- 2 tbsp. seafood seasoned soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp. ground white pepper
- 4 large cloves of garlic, peeled and minced
- ¾ quart unsweetened coconut milk
- Fresh parsley and slices of red bell pepper, for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat, then add in the chopped onions. Sauté until softened, translucent, and fragrant. Then add in the codfish nuggets, and sauté until slightly browned and nearly cooked through.
- Now add in the tomatoes, crushed stock cubes, garlic, and white pepper. Stir everything together well.
- Next, add in the seasoned soy sauce and the minced codfish, and stir all together, adjust heat to a simmer, cover the skillet, and let cook for 20 to 30 minutes.
- While the fish is simmering, cook the rice in boiling coconut milk.
- The rice should be done about the same time as the fish is.
- Remove the fish nuggets from the skillet, and take all the rest of the saucy ingredients and pour them into the cooked rice. Stir and blend the sauce and rice together thoroughly.
- To serve your Surinamese Mixed Rice with Codfish, put a generous mound of the saucy, coconut rice on each serving plate, and place several codfish nuggets on top. Goes well with fried plantain slices.